Here are some of our achievements in Good Governance and Social Justice:
- Over the years, we have actively influenced policies through various advocacy programs and initiative.
- We organized the African Security and Investment Emergency Summit alongside the Commonwealth Day Observance Service in London in March 2015 with support from the Royal Commonwealth Society. The summit brought together stakeholders from across Africa, the UK and other parts of the Commonwealth, and the Keynote address was delivered by Baroness Flather of the British House of Lords. Together, we sought and came up with recommendations for Government and other stakeholders in finding lasting solutions to Africa’s economic and security challenges.
- As a follow-up to the African Security and Investment Emergency Summit held in London, we successfully organized a National Security roundtable with Nigeria’s Director of Defence Information Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade. The roundtable was well attended by the media, CSOs and stakeholders in Nigeria’s security set up and gave an opportunity for the Defence spokesman to brief participating stakeholders on progress made by the Nigerian government in its fight against insurgency and terrorism.
- We hosted events to celebrate various International Days that relate to our strategic focus such as the Human Rights Day, Day of the African Child, Black History Month and the International Women’s Day
- Ahead of the 2015 General Election in Nigeria, GLEEHD (Africa) hosted a 12 weeks election series at the Dream Center in Lagos discussing issues around the 2015 election with speakers including Governor Kayode Fayemi, Dr. Muiz Banire, A.B Mahmoud SAN, Senator Olorunnimbe Mamora, and many others.
- We held trainings and workshops in preparation for Nigeria’s 2015 election and also monitored the process of the election. Our advocacy contributed to the smooth and peaceful conduct of 2015 election which has been widely commended for having less irregularities than any before it.
- We hosted the UN Young General Assembly Session (Nigeria 2004), Abuja on behalf of the Young General Assembly Secretariat with the support of the Office of the President, UNICEF Nigeria, Office of the Deputy Senate President – Ibrahim Mantu, the Federal Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development, the Federal Ministry of Information and National Orientation, and Federal Ministry of Special Duties and Intergovernmental Affairs
Here are some of our achievements in Economic, Entrepreneurship and Trade Development:
- We facilitated the Nigerian Trade Delegation to London and Sheffield February 2013 in partnership with UK Trade and Investment, Sheffield United Football Club, British Deputy High Commission, and GOLDMERE UK; and have since facilitated various other delegations to Europe and North America year in year out.
- We host a regular Women in Business and Leader Group at our Dream Center in Nigeria and an annual Women in Business and Leadership Summit that empowers and inspires thousands of women.
- We organized skills acquisition programs, seminars and workshops to arm business owners, through the support of Nigeria’s Ministry of Women Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Nation Builders Nigeria and many other NGOs
- We organised various Leadership, Enterprise Development and Capacity building programs across Africa.
- We organized various Enterprise development training program for African Youths in Diaspora.
- We organized an Executive Leadership and Enterprise Bootcamp for Emerging Leaders from Africa in London and Sheffield.
- We successfully hosted the Lagos Summer Entrepreneurship Program in partnership with other organisations.
- We Launched the GLEEHD Business and Leaders Forum – an initiative that have facilitated various opportunities for Business and Public Leaders both in Africa and her Diaspora.
- We successfully opened the Dream Center Lagos – a lifestyle and resource center which houses our Africa Secretariat and also host a Business Incubation Center and a Co-working space for SMEs. The Dream Center also offer round the year programs for Entrepreneurs and Business owners including a business clinic.
Here are some of our achievements in Children, Youth and Gender Development:
- Over 20,000 Youths have benefited directly through GLEEHD’s various Training programs and conferences.
- We have facilitated and organized in partnership with other organisations various exchange programs for young people and women including the Africa’s Emerging Leaders Delegation to Atlanta and North Carolina since 2013 in partnership with A.D King Foundation USA, Nigerian Consulate Atlanta, and Africa Bureau for Legislative Empowerment; the Global Young Leaders Delegation to Canada and the Emerging Leaders Delegation to Spain and more that have created opportunities for knowledhe and cultural exchange for young women and emerging leaders.
- We organized a Nationwide School Tours featuring educated Celebrities and Entertainers going into High Schools (Public and Private) to inspire Students to pursue education with their talent. The program began in Lagos and has extended to Osun State.
- We hosted a Diaspora Young Professionals Delegation to Nigeria 2013 (From the UK and USA) in partnership with AFFORD UK, Africa Bureau for Legislative Empowerment, Office of the Deputy Governor of Osun State, Office of Senator Omoworare, National Daily Newspaper and others – as part of a DiasporaGive initiative which saw the professionals volunteer in local communities in Nigeria.
- We co-organized the AFARA Youth Exchange program to Detroit Michigan USA 2012 in Partnership/with support from the US Consulate General, YYC, Detroit Tech Town, Michigan Association of Female Entrepreneur, RCCG Detroit, Office of the Mayor of Southfield Michigan, Office of Senator Omoworare, Africa Bureau for Legislative Empowerment and other partners that provided an opportunity for international internship experience and community volunteering for the participant.
- We facilitated a Nigerian Youth in North America Exchange Program to Nigeria 2010 with support of the Lagos State House of Assembly
- We successfully hosted the b-annual International Summer School for Young African Leaders supported by the Africa Leadership Forum of President Olusegun Obasanjo, British Council, Virgin Nigeria and other organizations.
- We successfully hosted the Intergenerational Dialogue between African Youth and African Leaders – Abuja 2005 in partnership with ICASA (International Conference on HIV/AIDS in Africa) Secretariat
- We sent a delegation of Emerging African leaders to the International Summer School for Young Activist in Atlantic College South Wales UK in 2002 with the support of British Council Nigeria, CIVA, ECONET Nigeria (now Airtel Nigeria), KIND, and other partners.
- We participated in the UN Special Session on Children, Nigerian Education Summit, UN High Level Summit on Youth and other international meeting where we made interventions on the issues that were affecting the development of African youths.
Here are some of our achievements in Climate Change and Sustainable Development:
- We are actively involved in the Action2015 and Sustainable Development Agenda Campaign, and remain a member of the Action2015 network.
- Through our active engagement of the United Nations, we have participated at various International events, such as the UN World Water Forum, UN World Summit on Sustainable Development, UN COP/UNFCCC Conference, and other international forums where we have contributed our voice to the issues of sustainable development in Africa.
- We have created various WASH Clubs in schools in Nigeria
- We have organized of forums and roundtables on climate change in the UK, EU, and Africa especially at the UN DPI/NGO Conference in Bonn Germany and the UN COP 17 in Durban South Africa where we hosted Side events.
- We worked with the Nature Protection and Environmental Improvement Initiative (NAPEIN) to organize various School Advocacy and Village Advocacy Programs in Nigeria